Wednesday 19 September 2012

Chocolate zucchini loaf

After compiling some zucchini recipes this morning, I had to go with the classic chocolate zucchini loaf first.  Who doesn't enjoy its moist, chocolatey yumminess?  Lucky for me, the zucchini was already shredded yesterday, so I got to jump right into baking!

What you will need

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 packed cups grated zucchini (don’t peel it)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

2 Medium sized loaf pans, pre greased



Pre heat oven at 350 F.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until a slightly fluffy consistency is reached.  Add the apple sauce and vanilla, mix.  Add the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mix.  Add zucchini and chocolate chips and fold ingredients into mixture.  Pour into 2 pre-greased medium sized loaf pans.  Bake for 50-60 mins, or until the top begins to "crack open".  Let sit for 10-15 mins in loaf pan, then slide a butter knife around the edge of the loaf to loosen it from the sides. Place your hand on the top of the loaf and turn the pad upside down, give it a couple little shakes and it should slide ride out.

Then enjoy!  I was a good mom and offered up the end piece to my daughter, but since she is still in "I don't like the crust mode", I got to eat it! : )  One day she'll learn that is the best part, but I definitely won't be pushing her to change her mind...

Although my favourite way to enjoy this loaf is fresh out of the oven, you can freeze it.  I like to stock up my freezer with a few different types of loaves for those last minute get togethers when you would like to bring a little snack for your friends or family to enjoy.

Original recipe is found here. Two modifications that I made were using apple sauce instead of oil, which I almost always do, and using only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips vs the original 1 cup. These are my attempts at keeping it as healthy a snack as possible, plus, as long my munchkin sees chocolate she's happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment