Thursday 20 September 2012

Raspberry zucchini loaf


 My mother-in-law generously gave me 2 very large bags of frozen raspberries a couple weeks ago and wasn't too sure what I would do with them, but knew I would be able to put them to good use eventually.  While looking for new and interesting zucchini recipes I happened to stumble upon one that would make use of both the zucchini and the raspberries, how perfect!  The flavour combination seems like more of a summer dessert, but my family could probably use a quick break from the fall samplings I have been giving them..




What you will need

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup fresh raspberries (I used raspberries that were frozen but that I thawed prior to baking with)

2 pre greased medium sized loaf pans

Pre heat oven at 350 F. Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly fluffy.  Add zucchini, apple sauce and lemon juice.  Combine dry ingredients; flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Blend dry ingredients with wet ingredients.  Fold in raspberries slightly, so as to create a swirl effect.  Pour into pans and then bake 45-50 mins. (original recipe states to bake for 30-35 mins, or until golden brown and then cover with foil.  However, my loaves did not brown on top until loaves were cooked through at approx. 50 mins)  Let loaves cool for 10-15 mins.  Slide butter knife around the edges of the loaves to avoid sticking, place hand on top of loaf, flip pan upside down, give a couple wiggles to the pan and it should pop out.



"Swirl effect"



The raspberry flavour definitely takes over this loaf, which I don't mind one bit!  Brings me back to my childhood, picking raspberries at the park off the bush that was growing out of one of the neighbours chain link fences.  We would go visit that bush almost every day in hopes of finding new berries!


 My one complaint about these loaves is that it is too moist...  Next time I would try straining the raspberries and zucchini.


2 raspberry zucchini loaves on the left, 2 chocolate zucchini loaves on the right.
Original recipe located here

No comments:

Post a Comment